How to Handle & Respond to Subpoenas, Summonses, Garnishments & Levies
StreamedDec 14, 2022Duration90 minutes
See Registration Options
- Unlimited & shareable access starting two business days after live stream
- Available on desktop, mobile & tablet devices 24/7
- Take-away toolkit
- Ability to download webinar video
- Presenter's contact info for questions
Imagine being served with a subpoena or summons and handling it with poise and confidence.
If that scenario is more dream than reality, this is the webinar for you! Legal processes, garnishments, and levies don’t have to be intimidating. Learn the ins and outs of how to compliantly address each issue.
AFTER THIS WEBINAR YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Comply with financial privacy restrictions when responding to subpoenas and summonses
- Explain your institution’s legal responsibilities in processing garnishments and levies
- Understand the special procedures for accounts containing federal benefit payments
- Accurately calculate the amount that must be protected in accounts with federal benefit payments
- Determine whether to attach a joint account or an account held by a trust, sole proprietorship, corporation, or other entity
- Notify accountholders in a timely fashion when required
Has your institution implemented proper procedures for handling subpoenas, summonses, garnishments, and levies? Although these complicated legal documents are part of the daily fabric, many staff members are not properly trained to handle them – thus exposing the institution to significant liability. This webinar will explain these legal processes and the situations in which they can be served on your institution. It will describe proper handling, such as determining what information can and can’t be disclosed, identifying accounts, placing account holds, answering interrogatories, notifying the accountholder, and remitting funds. The special requirements and procedures for accounts that receive federal benefit payments will also be included.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session will benefit deposit operations personnel, service representatives, tellers, collectors, compliance staff, privacy officers, auditors, attorneys, and managers.
- Official Guidelines for Garnishment of Accounts Containing Federal Benefit Payments issued by the Department of the Treasury
- Sample notice form to be sent to accountholders
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided to self-report CE credits
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your agency is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
"I was unfortunately 10 minutes late signing in to the webinar. When I signed in the speaker was very easy to catch up with and understand in regular language. The slide show documents provided allowed me to see what was missed and share with my staff to increase their knowledge."
- Cory, Winsouth Credit Union
"This webinar gave a lot of clarity to the subject."
- Peggy, Trades & Labor Federal Credit Union
Spencer Fane LLP
© 2023 FINANCIAL EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT, INC