Thursday, July 6, 2017
9:00 am – 10:30 am HST
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm PT
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm MT
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm CT
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm ET
The very nature of the credit union business model requires assessing the level of credit risk and effectively managing that risk. What role should the board play, and how can directors fulfill that role? Directors are generally not involved in the day-to-day operations of the institution and some may not have extensive credit experience. This webinar will consider the challenges directors face in accurately assessing credit risk and in defining their institution’s credit risk appetite. With many traditional measures of asset quality being lagging indicators of credit risk, this webinar will address how directors can achieve a timely understanding of their institution’s risk level; identify changes in the risk profile; work with management to monitor and control risk; and provide independent oversight of management in this area.
Continuing Education: Attendance verification for CE credits upon request
- Brief refresher of director responsibilities and how defining credit risk appetite and assessing credit risk relate to those responsibilities
- How directors can help define and guide their institution's credit risk appetite
- The role of internal audit, independent risk management reviews, and examinations in assessing the institution's credit risk and risk management
- How to think about common measures of asset quality, including some circumstances in which they may not tell the whole story (whether strong or weak)
- Indicators that provide a timelier window into an institution's asset quality than traditional lagging indicators (such as loss rates)
- What directors should do to ensure compliance with the January 1, 2017, revisions to the NCUA's Part 723 - Member Business Loans; Commercial Lending
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Questions to help directors think about how credit risk appetite is defined and how effectively credit risk is assessed at their credit union
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for directors, whether they are outside directors or are members of the management team.
PLEASE NOTE: Program content is subject to copyright and intended for your individual financial institution’s use only.