9:00 am – 10:30 am HST
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm PT
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm MT
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm CT
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm ET
The difference between an IRA conversion and an IRA recharacterization contribution can be confusing to accountholders and tax advisors. The allowable methods to correct excess contributions and the deadlines to avoid can also be perplexing and difficult to explain. In addition, recent tax legislation has eliminated the ability to recharacterize IRA conversions and retirement plan rollovers made on or after January 1, 2018. This session will demystify IRA conversions, recharacterizations, and excess contribution corrections and give you the knowledge to confidently handle IRA owner questions and requests.
Continuing Education: Attendance verification for CE credits upon request
- Difference between a conversion and a recharacterization
- How to properly report conversions and recharacterizations
- How recent tax legislation affects conversions and retirement plan rollovers
- Difference between a true and deemed IRA excess contribution
- How to properly correct and report IRA excess contributions
- Penalties for failing to correct IRA excess contributions in a timely manner
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This session is designed for individuals who deal with IRAs and IRA account owners, whether face-to-face, in the IRA operations area, or in a supervisory or managerial capacity. Licensed insurance representatives and registered representatives will also benefit. After this session, you will have a greater understanding of what is new and important in the world of IRA conversions, recharacterizations, and excess contributions.
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your financial institution is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.