Procedural & Compliance Responsibilities of the Board Secretary
Thursday, January 26, 2017
10:00 am – 11:30 am HST
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm PT
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm MT
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm CT
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm ET
In a dynamic industry involving corporate governance, compliance, and director liability, the role of board secretary is critical. Examiners routinely ask for, and conduct an in-depth review of, board minutes as a part of their regular exam request memo. The minutes must be complete! Examiners (and potentially legal counsel) will scrutinize recordkeeping, the board secretary’s communication with directors/management, and the administration of corporate governance. What are the dos and don’ts of this important role? How can the board secretary be more effective? This session will provide the answers to these questions and more.
In addition, more and more board packages are delivered electronically via iPads and other tablets. What steps can be taken to mitigate risk regarding security and privacy? Best practices will be addressed.
Continuing Education: Attendance verification for CE credits upon request
- List of annual policies, officer designations, and other items that need to go to the board
- Communication with directors and management, before and after the meeting
- Coverage of board and committee meetings – how the secretary’s role changes
- Crafting the minutes and supporting documentation
- Record retention requirements
- Obtaining and maintaining annual documentation requirements (e.g., insider records, board training schedules, etc.)
- E-package delivery – including privacy, IT issues, and sample procedures
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Excel spreadsheet for policies and training that go to the board
- Electronic media board package considerations and sample procedures
- Employee training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for board secretaries, senior management, and directors.
PLEASE NOTE: Webinar content is subject to copyright and intended for your individual financial institution’s use only.
MEET THE PRESENTER
We provide credit union webinars on compliance, lending, regulations, security, operations, new accounts, collections, fraud, security & other topics. For more information on credit union education and online training opportunities, join our mailing list.