This is a 90-minute webinar.
9:00 am – 10:30 am HST
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm PT
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm MT
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm CT
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm ET
Setoff is an important legal remedy for financial institutions – if specific requirements are met. Does your institution use this right when applicable, or shy away because the legalities seem too complicated? This webinar will provide examples to help explain the elements and requirements. Attendees will gain a clear understanding from this no-nonsense presentation.
AFTER THIS WEBINAR YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Explain the legal requirements that must be satisfied before setoff is permitted
- Differentiate between a contractual right of setoff and a common law right of setoff, and when to use each
- Distinguish the right of setoff from foreclosure of a security interest, and how to choose the best method
- List situations when setoff can be used without violating the other parties’ legal rights
- Identify which accounts and loans are subject to setoff
Your institution has a common law right to setoff a depositor’s account for a debt owed to your institution – if certain legal requirements are satisfied. In addition, your institution may have a contractual right of setoff – depending on the terms of your deposit contracts.
If a debtor defaults on a loan, when can your institution apply money from the debtor’s account to pay the loan? Does the debtor have to be notified beforehand? What if the debtor’s account has a joint owner? If your institution receives a garnishment from another creditor, can you setoff before honoring the garnishment? This webinar will answer these questions and more. Join us to learn the legal requirements that must be satisfied, and the steps required before exercising the right of setoff.
Attendance certificate provided to self-report CE credits.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for deposit, garnishment, or collections staff, such as deposit operations personnel, loan operations staff, collectors, attorneys, compliance officers, auditors, and managers.
- Checklist of items to satisfy before setoff is permitted
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
DON'T MISS THESE RELATED WEBINARS!
|"2021 Collection Series"|
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your financial institution is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.