Lessons Learned from the FDCPA Collection Rule Changes
April 20, 2023
DateApr 20, 2023Duration90 minutes
12:00 PM PDT01:00 PM MDT
02:00 PM CDT03:00 PM EDT
- Unlimited connections for your institution
- Available on desktop, mobile & tablet
- Take-away toolkit
- Presenter’s contact info for questions
See Registration Options
- Unlimited & shareable access starting two business days after live stream
- Available on desktop, mobile & tablet devices 24/7
- Take-away toolkit
- Ability to download webinar video
- Presenter's contact info for questions
Do you have both sets of last year’s FDCPA changes down pat?
Not everyone does. Join us for this unique opportunity to learn about the landmines from other financial institutions’ experiences under the new rules.
AFTER THIS WEBINAR YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Explain the new rules regarding debt collection communications, such as voice messages, emails, text messages, and social media
- Understand how to properly adhere to the new call attempt restrictions of not more than seven times within seven days
- Determine how and when collectors must contact the consumer before furnishing debt information to a credit reporting agency
- Explain what qualifies as time-barred debt and how collectors must handle it
- Identify what the CFPB has indicated are some of the biggest problems
Over a year ago, the CFPB implemented two rounds of major changes to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act which affected all financial institutions and their third-party debt collectors.
These changes covered the consumer’s control over how often and by what means you can communicate with them, the proper use of newer communication methods (i.e., mobile phone, voicemail, email, text messages, and social media), the limitation on collection efforts to not more than “7 times within 7 days,” the required use of a “limited-content message” when leaving messages in certain situations, and the restrictions on attempting to collect time-barred debt.
This program will explore the problems financial institutions have encountered under these new rules and the lessons learned.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is directed to all loan officers, loan operations personnel, credit administration personnel, collection staff, compliance officers, attorneys, managers, and others involved in the collection process.
- CFPB’s Fair Debt Collection Practices Act Examination Procedures (updated December 2022)
- CFPB’s Small Entity Compliance Guide for the Debt Collection Rules
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided to self-report CE credits
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your institution is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
Spencer Fane LLP
This Webinar Appears In
© 2023 FINANCIAL EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT, INC