Writing Effective Credit Memos & Loan Narratives
StreamedApr 20, 2022Duration90 minutes
See Registration Options
- Unlimited and shareable access
two business days after live streaming
- Available on desktop, mobile & tablet devices 24/7
- Take-away toolkit
- Ability to download webinar video
- Presenter's contact info for questions
Credit memos and loan narratives are crucial to...
...the loan committee, loan officers, and underwriters in making strong credit decisions; to loan review officers in understanding a credit being reviewed; and to examiners when reviewing your files. They can also document workout strategies for problem credits. This practical webinar will explain the essentials and even provide sample formats.
AFTER THIS WEBINAR YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Identify the objectives of a credit memo to know what to include and exclude
- Understand the components of credit analysis, including terms, exposure summary, financial analysis, collateral, etc.
- Define and consider key financial ratios
- Structure a strong summary narrative
- Know what examiners look for in a sensitivity analysis (stress testing)
- Recognize the importance of the succession plan
- Draw clear credit-risk conclusions
- Provide a detailed record of strengths, weaknesses, and mitigants
- Explain the importance of documenting and monitoring loan policy exceptions
- Avoid common examiner criticisms in credit write-ups
The purpose of the credit analysis memorandum (CAM) and loan narrative is to capture an accurate, complete snapshot of the applicant and credit request. These critical documents are the basis for making the initial credit decision and create a foundation for modifications and renewal decisions as the loan ages. This information is also used for ongoing account management and documents material developments or changes in the quality or nature of the credit or borrower over the life of the loan. The underwriter needs a clear and accurate picture to make the best risk-based decision. Whether it is a consumer, real estate, or commercial credit, an effective CAM/loan narrative is imperative to address safety and soundness and compliance risk.
This session will cover how to develop meaningful write-ups that document the credit request in a clear, concise, organized format. It will go step-by-step through the process and provide samples that illustrate development of a useful, relevant CAM/loan narrative.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for commercial lenders, credit analysts, loan review personnel, and commercial loan administration professionals. Directors on the loan committee will also benefit.
- Two sample formats to use to develop and strengthen credit memos
- List of online resources for industry analysis
- Employee training log
- Interactive quiz
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided to self-report CE credits
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your agency is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
Brode Consulting Services, Inc.
© 2022 FINANCIAL EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT, INC